Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Race 1:Sealy RR1, 1/14/2017

Race #1:
My first serious road race, since I would say I hit decent shape (i.e. holding 300W for an hour or so).

Unfortunately, this raced was doomed long ahead of time.  I came down with the flu on Tuesday night.  I was so sick I had to miss work Wednesday with fever, and work from home on Thursday.  I could barely manage moderate aerobic efforts during the week, and did manage to train a little bit to help with recovery.  But this was far from the week I needed coming off of a really intense week of training. With over 600 miles the previous 2 weeks.   I had mostly recovered by Friday and was well enough to go out for dinner to the parents' house.  Which was fine, but not ideal pre-race food.  Additionally, I forgot to charge my Garmin so the battery was dead, preventing me from having GPS during the race.

The morning of was not bad.  I headed to race and got there about 45 minutes early.  But in my haste, I forgot to eat the oatmeal I had brought for myself.  I arrived, registered and peed.  But there was a delay in start so we had to wait an extra 20 minutes.  By the time the race started I had to pee again, but too late... I would have to hold it.  It was hot and sticky, especially for early January (about 78' and humid).

 I raced the 4/5 open Men's category; looking around, I knew I was the strongest rider in the field  (on normal days), excepting maybe my team-mate Phil.  I had trained with and knew I had better top-end power and endurance than the people around me.  Only one rider, from Austin, my friend Justin M., I thought could hang with Phil and I over a distance.

But the day of was hot, and sticky, and with a 15 mph headwind.  And it would turn out to be a rather slow and gentle race with very little excitement, except for one sprint as we turned on the loop portion of the route.  A crash in front of me a rider lost control on a sprint and went over the bars.  I dodged the wreckage.

The pace was otherwise very gentle,  only averaging only about 175 W.  Our group of 3 riders had planned to jump ahead in a section of skinny road.  But we were not well organized, and did not know where each other were.  Come time for the planned jump, I made the jump, but none of my confederates could follow.  Only a few of the team that had been blocking all day, joined me, so after a bit, I gave up and drifted back in.  I decided to make another jump, after the turn off of the road onto a brief 3-4 mile tailwind section.  I tried to jump again, and was joined by one other rider.  We held about 400W.  But looking back, my jump was really more of a hard pedal. In hind sight, I should have gone out much harder (500-600W).   We shattered the field a bit, dropping a slower pack, but we were unable to drop some of the bigger guys who would end up beating us in a sprint.   In the end the group re-grouped into a massive pack as we turned back into the long 10 mile headwind stretch heading back to the finish.

On this stretch I would end up pulling wayyyyyy too much.  Averaging 250W for over 30 minutes as my opponents just watched me do work.  In reality, 250W is well within my ability, but I was working much harder than them, and I continued to work until about 1k from the finish.  This ultimately was my demise, which was really dumb.  I should have either gone out really hard, or waited for the pack sprint.  Instead, I made a foolish jump about 400m out.  I flew up the ride side and was slammed by the headwind.  Someone spun past me on the left, Taylor Pruet.  Panicked, I grinded rather than spun, and  as I reached exhaustion, I was quickly eaten up by the passing pack.  I ended up finishing in the back of the pack at 32/69 riders.  But this was much worse than I had hoped.  In the end, I had bad luck, but more fatally, I made a series of mental mistakes.

Without the team support, I needed to have conserved energy, marked a good rider, and let their team lead me out.  But, there's always next week.  I am excited to try again this next weekend at the oatmeal roadrace in Austin.  The hills should hurt the (more) fat riders.





No comments:

Post a Comment